The building was originally located on University Drive.
We are an NCA accredited public high school serving students in grades 9-12. We have a staff of approximately 100, including teachers, administrators, and support staff. Annual RHS student enrollment is approximately 1,500 students
Our facility is located approximately one mile west of historic downtown Rochester and sits on 71 acres, which includes a football stadium, an outdoor track, tennis courts, and athletic fields for baseball, softball, and soccer,
- For current information, driving directions, course descriptions, and other important information, please access our Key Information page.
- For contact information, please fill out the form here at the bottom of the page.
- For a view of what's happening at Rochester High School, visit our Parent Newsletter page.
- For our school fight song and alma mater, click on the About Us page.
Historic Milestones of Rochester High School
The Academy on the Hill...
- In 1889, Rochester's first high school, known as the "Academy on the Hill," was built on Fourth and Wilcox for $8,000. The first class graduated from Rochester High School in 1896.
- Rochester High accreditation was granted in 1924.
- Groundbreaking for a new building, at our current location on the corner of Livernois and Walton, took place in 1955. On October 31st, 1956, students walked from the "Academy on the Hill" to the new Rochester High School.
Rochester High School...
- The gymnasium was added in 1957.
- The two-story wing was built in 1961.
- The auditorium, the bridge (a.k.a. Falcon Freeway), and the swimming pool were added in 1965.
- The school split to a half-day schedule to accommodate the growing student population while Adams High School was being built and completed in 1970.
- In 1986, the mall enclosure, media center, cafeteria, and auxiliary gym were added.
- In 1998, a courtyard was converted into four classrooms.
- In 1999, the metal shop was converted into two classrooms.
- A complete renovation of Rochester High took place in 2001, which included upgrades to the main office, counseling offices, weight room, pool, and gymnasium, additions of computer labs, a photography lab, theater and vocal area, additional science labs, new locker banks, an enhanced courtyard with a greenhouse, and a new auditorium and theater.
- In 2018, renovations were made that provided upgrades to many areas in the school. Collaborative spaces were created for teachers to hold class outside of the classroom. The athletic wing was redesigned with a new main entrance, a spectator room overlooking the football field, new field turf, and new spectator bleachers. A new main entrance and lobby was created in the Auditorium. In addition, upgrades were made to classrooms, the mall and media center, which included furniture, paint, and flooring.
Rochester High School Principals...
- 1924-1931: D.G. Millard
- 1931-1934: Harlow Tubbs
- 1934-1947: A.R. Musson
- 1947-1959: Richard Huizenga
- 1959-1967: Harlen Johnson
- 1967-1968: Richard Olson
- 1968-1981: James Drue
- 1981-1984: Hal Hatherly
- 1984-1990: Gary Doyle
- 1990-1995: Richard Ickes
- 1995-2004: Donald May
- 2004-2011: Wendy Shepard
- 2011-2015: Charles Rowland
- 2015-2021: Neil DeLuca
- 2021- Present: Josh Wrinkle