The building was originally located on University Drive.
We are an NCA accredited public high school serving students in grades 9-12. We have a staff of approximately 100, including teachers, administrators, and support staff. Annual RHS student enrollment is approximately 1,500 students
Our facility is located approximately one mile west of historic downtown Rochester and sits on 71 acres, which includes a football stadium, an outdoor track, tennis courts, and athletic fields for baseball, softball, and soccer,
- For current information, driving directions, course descriptions, and other important information, please access our Key Information page.
- For contact information, please fill out the form here at the bottom of the page.
- For a view of what's happening at Rochester High School, visit our Parent Newsletter page.
- For our school fight song and alma mater, click on the About Us page.
Historic Milestones of Rochester High School
Rochester Community Schools
- In 1889, the community’s original school building was constructed at Fourth Street and Wilcox and housed all grade levels together. The building was initially called Rochester School and was later renamed the William S. Harrison School.
- Rochester High School was built on the same site in 1916. Rochester High School was then connected to the Harrison School building with an addition in 1928. The expanded complex housed classrooms until 1975. The building was then repurposed to accommodate administration offices.
Rochester High School
- Rochester High School was built in 1916 at Fourth Street and Wilcox and featured the first high school gymnasium in Rochester. This building was connected to the Harrison School building with an addition in 1928.
- In 1955, groundbreaking began for a new building at the current RHS location on the corner of Livernois and Walton.
- On Oct. 31, 1956, students began attending the new Rochester High School.
- The gymnasium was added in 1957.
- The two-story wing was built in 1961.
- The auditorium, bridge (a.k.a. Falcon Freeway), and the swimming pool were added in 1965.
- The school split to a half-day schedule to accommodate the growing student population while Adams High School was being built. Adams opened in 1970.
- In 1986, the mall enclosure, media center, cafeteria and auxiliary gym were added.
- In 1998, a courtyard was converted into four classrooms.
- In 1999, the metal shop was converted into two classrooms.
- A complete renovation of Rochester High took place in 2001, which included upgrades to the main office, counseling offices, weight room, pool, and gymnasium; additions of computer labs, a photography lab, theater and vocal area; plus additional science labs, new locker banks, an enhanced courtyard with a greenhouse, and a new auditorium and theater.
- In 2018, renovations and upgrades were completed in many areas in the school. Collaborative spaces were created for teachers to provide instruction outside of the classroom. The athletic wing was redesigned with a new main entrance, a spectator room overlooking the football field, new field turf, and new bleachers. The auditorium featured a new main entrance and lobby. In addition, furniture, paint and flooring upgrades were made in classrooms, the mall and media center.
Rochester High School Principals
- 1924-1931: D.G. Millard
- 1931-1934: Harlow Tubbs
- 1934-1947: A.R. Musson
- 1947-1959: Richard Huizenga
- 1959-1967: Harlen Johnson
- 1967-1968: Richard Olson
- 1968-1981: James Drue
- 1981-1984: Hal Hatherly
- 1984-1990: Gary Doyle
- 1990-1995: Richard Ickes
- 1995-2004: Donald May
- 2004-2011: Wendy Shepard
- 2011-2015: Charles Rowland
- 2015-2021: Neil DeLuca
- 2021- Present: Josh Wrinkle